McIlroy's 16th career PGA TOUR victory is the 11th win on Global Tours for TaylorMade’s New M5 & M6 Drivers featuring the company’s ground-breaking Injected Twist Face technology; McIlroy also introduced a new wedge set up this week featuring Four MG wedges en route to a new RBC Canadian Open scoring record.
What You Need to Know:
- As he has since the Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Rory has continued to play a 9° M5 Driver, of which he's found remarkable success this season. At Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Rory averaged 324 yards off the tee for the tournament - good for first in the field.
- In addition to the M5 Driver, McIlroy also gamed a 14° M6 fairway and 18° M5 titanium fairway, electing to remove his P790 2 iron that has been used at previous events this season due to the course set up at Hamilton Golf & Country Club.
- Rory's second PGA TOUR win of the season is the 10th Global Tour win for the new 2019 TP5/x golf ball. Rory's preferred golf ball is the is the '19 TP5, stamped #22.
- Rory continued to roll the new Spider X putter with confidence and featured a limited edition commemorative Canadian Spider headcover. The head cover was used by many TaylorMade Staff Professionals this week including Rory.
- Rory McIlroy worked with TaylorMade Tour Rep Adrian Rietveld onsite at Hamilton Golf & Country Club this past Monday to dial in his wedges. Rory then moved to four wedges, 48°, 52°, 56° & 60°, to allowed for calculated distance control, not just for this week but also for the U.S. Open. With the new wedge, Rory removed the P750 3-iron from his bag.
- The 48° wedge is Milled Grind Raw while the 52°, 56° & 60° are Milled Grind Hi-Toe wedges.
- With the win, McIlroy becomes #2 in the FEDEX Cup race and will elevate to #3 in the OWGR.
- First played in 1904, McIlroy set a new RBC Canadian Open record his first time playing North of the Border shooting 258 (-22).
WITB - RBC Canadian Open: