Johnson's first regular European Tour victory and 20th career victory is the first for TaylorMade’s New M6 Driver featuring the company’s ground-breaking Speed Injected Twist Face technology.
(c) Getty Image
World #3 Dustin Johnson used his prodigious length off the tee combined with TaylorMade's new Speed Injected Twist Face™ technology to win the Saudi International by 2 shots from fellow Team TaylorMade athlete Haotong Li. Johnson shot a course record 61 in the second round alongside carding 22 birdies and 1 eagle en route to victory including a birdie-birdie finish.
What you need to know:
- Johnson put TaylorMade's new M6 driver into the bag after extensive testing with both that and the M5 model. Like many on Team TaylorMade, DJ made the switch into the new line of drivers quickly. Gaming the adjustable M5 driver earlier in the season, he requested to do some shaft testing looking to increase his ball speed to the 185mph mark. After some on course testing DJ opted for the M6 driver this week, favouring the forgiveness of the M6 driver. It is likely he will continue working with both models moving forward
- Johnson’s victory is the first win for TaylorMade’s M5 and M6 Drivers with Speed Injected Twist Face
- Johnson also added the new M5 Titanium Fairway Wood to his setup this week equipped with Project X's HZRDUS Black X shaft; the same shaft he carried in his fairway(s) last season
- Dustin’s victory is the first win for the new 2019 TP5/x Golf Ball highlighted by its new High-Flex Material (HFM). DJ’s preferred golf ball is the TP5x, stamped #1.
- DJ is a big fan of the P790 iron and continues to use the #2 Iron in place of a high lofted fairway wood also equipped with a Project X HZRDUS Black X shaft
- Like last year Dustin played the P730 DJ Proto Irons. As he has for most of his recent career, DJ has them equipped with True Temper's Dynamic Gold X100 shafts
- Dustin played the Milled Grind Hi-Toe family in 54 and 60 degree lofts equipped with KBS Tour 120S shafts
- Johnson has found much success with the Spider Tour over the last few years using it to escalate him to #1 in the World. This week, he used it to card 22 birdies and 1 eagle
Dustin Johnson's Winning Bag at the Saudi International:
- M6 Driver | 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0
- M5 Fairway | 15° | Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X
- P790 | 3 Iron | Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 X
- P730 DJ Proto Irons | 3-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
- Milled Grind Hi-Toe Wedges | 54° & 60° | KBS Tour 120 S
- Spider Tour Black Putter
- 2019 TP5x Golf Ball (#1)